/ 0
60%
Table of contents

Document in text mode:

536 LaHave Street This building was once the site of the Belmont Hotel, the CN railway hotel for the nearby train station and a rival to the Fairview Inn and Clark’s Hotel. It was freshly built in 1908 for the Berringers – Timothy and Abertha – who ran the hotel until 1966 when it passed to Kathleen Berringer, a school teacher. In 1978 Randall and Leona Rockwell acquired the hotel, as well as another house (with the same civic address) that was on the lot. The hotel was converted to apartments in the late 1970s, likely when the Rockwells bought it. The grandeur and size of railway hotels can be gleamed from the Belmont, even though this was a quite modest version compared to other palatial hotels in bigger cities. Built in the Dutch Colonial substyle of Colonial Revival architecture that was ever so popular at the turn of the century, it had a gambrel roof. Interestingly enough, as with many gable roofed Colonial Revival houses, the eaves returned along the front face of the house. A b...