Document in text mode:

MELVILLE (AGOR14) was named in honor of Rear Admiral George W. Melville (1841-1912), a noted Arctic explorer and Chief of the Bureau of Steam Engineering from 1887 to 1903. She is the second Navy ship named in Admiral Melville's honor. The first was a destroyer tender USS MELVILLE which operated from March 1913 to August 1946 during both world wars. MELVILLE was built at Defoe Shipbuilding Company in Bay City Michigan. Her keel was laid on 12 July 1967 and she was launched 10 July 1968. Melville was sponsored and christened by Mrs. ElfordA. Cederbergthe wife of Congressman ElfordA. Cederberg. MELVILLE was delivered to Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California San Diego 1 August 1969. MELVILLE is 279' LOA with a 46' beam and 16' -6" draft. MELVILLE was originally 246' but during her mid-life refit from 1989-1992 she was cut in half and lengthen 33'. Her original cycloidalpropulsion was replaced with twin Z-drive main propellers and a retractable Z-drive bow thruster....